Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Pregnancy So Far =)

[You'll have to forgive me for the horrible quality photos taken by me with my phone - No one ever takes pics of me, so this is my sad attempt to capture the moment - I am 31 weeks in the photos]

Let me first say that I LOVE being pregnant. I love the feeling of carrying my son with me everywhere I go. I love feeling his movements (even his merciless kicks). I love it when he gets the hiccups. I’m going to miss the little love-taps he gives me when he’s finally here and driving me utterly insane, but at the same time, I can’t wait to actually hold him in my arms . . .


My husband and I have joked around and talked about having children ever since we first started dating (I was 16 and he was 15). We both soon realized that becoming a parent was part of both of our dreams, amongst all the crazy things we wanted to accomplish! He wanted to be the ideal, cool, laid-back father and I wanted to be the loving, strong-hearted and fearless mother. And we couldn’t imagine not having a little one running around with us. Perhaps one of our biggest fears was finding out that pregnancy would be a difficult thing for me . . .

Well I had NO trouble getting pregnant. 10 weeks after my husband and I married, I found out I was 10 weeks gestation with my little man. We were surprised that it happened so fast, but at the same time not surprised at all. It’s not like we tried to avoid getting pregnant, if you get what I mean! I guess this would technically be considered an "unplanned" pregnancy, though my husband and I have been preparing all along!

So I went to the doctor. OMG let me say I HATE doctors. Especially the “woman” doctor, as I call it. Yes, it sucked, but everything checked out fine, despite the slight spotting I had afterwards. And that’s the only time to this day that I have spotted during my pregnancy.

I’ve been told that I’ve had the ideal pregnancy so far. I am considered low risk, passed my sugar test at 28 weeks, experienced PLENTY of fetal movement daily (you gotta trust me on this one!), and all blood work checked out fine. The ultrasound concluded that I have a good placenta, good water, and everything is normal. My OB even approached me at my 28 week appointment regarding my seemingly perfect blood work results, and congratulated me about how I had to be one of the 15% of her patients that actually take the prenatal vitamins . . . how she got this percentage I have no clue. [CONFESSION: I cannot swallow pills – not even an aspirin – so I did some research and compared the prescription prenatals she wanted me to have to Kid’s Flintstones chewable vitamins. I found out that taking 2 ¾ Flintstones chewables a day equals EXACTLY what was in the prenatals, so I settled for that . . .without telling her . . .] Apparently it has worked! Ha ha!

My pre-pregnancy weight was a healthy 120 pounds. And at 5’5’’, my BMI was approximately 20.5 and I was overall quite happy with my body (aside from wanting to tone up). Now, at almost 32 weeks, I fluctuate between 148-149. I have yet to hit 150! I try to walk plenty throughout the day, but I eat whatever I want. And nobody is telling me any different at this point! I will deal with toning up and losing baby weight AFTER my son is born. No sooner.

SYMPTOMS! – Probably the WORST part of being pregnant was the hunger-induced nausea I experienced from 10 weeks – 17 weeks, which caused me to eat nearly 10 full meals a day, literally. My coworkers would playfully joke “It’s not gonna be a 60 pound baby!” Additionally I have suffered from extreme heartburn, slight fatigue, slight backaches, stretch marks, bleeding and sensitive gums, Braxton hicks contractions, sciatica pain, leg cramps, minimal swelling of my ankles (1 time only so far), and slight moodiness. My nesting instinct also kicked in around 20 weeks and it has been at full force ever since!

Craven is also in very good health and is growing just as expected. He responds almost too well to my voice, his father’s voice, and my mother’s voice. He has been head down since he was 28 weeks along – I know this because of the pressure on my bladder and the little footsies that keep teasing at my ribcage. At my 30 week ultrasound, they confirmed this. I opted to not have the amniocentesis done, simply because the outcome of the test was not relevant to me. Even if he was born with a genetic problem, it would not cause me to love him any less. To me, even the smallest risk of miscarriage is not worth knowing a few scientific readings. The outcomes of amniocentesis tests are not even 100% correct, more like 50% or less. My son is a completely normal, healthy little man, and that’s all I need to hear.


I’ll try to keep updating often. Being home alone while Jon is at work is very . . . lonely! And quite boring to boot! I’m going to post about my birth preferences as well in the near future, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment